Your new favourite bourbon: Woodford Reserve Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
The art of making fine bourbon first took place on the site of the Woodford Reserve Distillery, a National Historic Landmark, in 1812. The current site of the Woodford Reserve Distillery was originally founded by Elijah Pepper, making it one of America’s oldest operating bourbon distilleries. Often cited as the birthplace of bourbon, it was here in 1838 that Dr James Crow perfected the ‘Sour Mash’ process that is still used in bourbon production today, adding to the distillery’s historical value.
Woodford Reserve is built around flavour. The bourbon has a rich texture of more than 200 detectable flavour notes that create opportunities for cocktail and food pairings. Ranging from bold grain and wood to sweet aromatics, spices and fruit and floral notes, Woodford Reserve is a preferred bourbon for bartenders and chefs.
Woodford Reserve delivers a unique and complex bourbon through all five sources of flavour:
- GRAIN – The best grains make the best bourbon. Woodford Reserve is made with 72% corn, 18% rye and 10% malted barley. Its grain recipe is uniquely defined by a higher rye content. Rye’s higher price is worth the investment as it allows the whiskey to have a spicy character.
- WATER – Woodford Reserve uses iron-free, limestone-filtered spring water, which is full of rich minerals that are key in its unique fermentation process. Kentucky’s climate and watershed make it the best place in the world to make bourbon whiskey. This unique water source contributes to building the overall flavour of Woodford Reserve.
- FERMENTATION – Traditional cypress fermentors stand like silent giants in the Woodford Reserve distillery. The fermentation process lasts for up to seven days, which is among the longest in the industry. Slower fermentation allows Woodford Reserve to develop a complex range of flavours. What is sacrificed in time, is rewarded in quality.
- DISTILLATION – Imported from Scotland, the copper pot stills go about their business with a quiet determination, giving Woodford Reserve a deep, robust flavour.
- MATURATION – Tucked deep in the heart of Woodford County hides one of the oldest steam-heated barrel houses in Kentucky. The barrel houses were built to encourage the mingling of bourbon and wood. The aroma that lingers in the air is the personification of Woodford Reserve’s care and concern of craft and process.
Woodford Reserve Old Fashioned
A classic American cocktail with great history.
60ml Woodford Reserve
1 teaspoon sugar
4 dashes of bitters
1 orange peel
Place sugar in a lowball glass and saturate with bitters. Mix until dissolved. Add in one large ice cube and Woodford Reserve and stir. Twist an orange peel over ice to release essence. Garnish with the orange peel.
Crafted Carefully. Drink Responsibly.
Woodford Reserve®, in a registered trademarks of Brown-Forman Corporation, Louisville, KY ©2019.
This article was produced with content supplied by Woodford Reserve and is a Signature Luxury Travel & Style digital exclusive. Be the first to see more exclusive online content by subscribing to the enewsletter here.