Celebrity Edge: The most anticipated ship of the year sets sail
The travel industry’s most anticipated ship of the year, Celebrity Cruises’ billion dollar Celebrity Edge has launched, arriving in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, ready for her maiden guest voyage on 9 December 2018.
Created in collaboration with world-renowned interior designer Kelly Hoppen and architect of Dubai’s Burj Al Arab Hotel, Tom Wright (WKK), the 2,918-guest Celebrity Edge is a ship designed to shatter all expectations of the cruise experience.
Features of the ultra-luxurious Celebrity Edge include:
- Infinite Veranda Staterooms – Rooms that transform your entire living area into the verandah with the touch of a button.
- The Magic Carpet – An open-air venue cantilevered off the side of the ship that moves between decks according to mood and function.
- At the summit of the ship on Deck 16, the Magic Carpet becomes the ultimate specialty restaurant offering a special “Dinner on the Edge” for 90 guests.
- Alongside Deck 14, Magic Carpet becomes an open-air expansion of the main pool area.
- On Deck 5, Magic Carpet extends one of the ship’s specialty restaurants into the most amazing al fresco seating imaginable
- At its lowest position on Deck 2, Magic Carpet is a key component to the Destination Gateway, a luxury embarkation station where guests will be whisked away aboard sleek tender ships called Edge Launches.
- The Spa – A 2,000-square-metre sprawling space inspired by the soothing elements of nature with panoramic ocean views. Featuring more than 124 treatments, 31 therapists and signature offerings such as the Ocean Spa Wave Massage, Hot Mineral Body Boost, Poultice-Powered Muscle Release, Zero Gravity Wellness Massage, The Spa is the ultimate pampering at sea.
- Eden – A multi-level transformative space with floor-to-ceiling glass looking out to the ocean. Eden is a transformative atmosphere that changes function according to the time of day, from “chillful mornings” to “playful afternoons” and “sinful evenings”.
- Rooftop Garden – A living urban playscape inspired by childhood playgrounds. Brought to life with the help of architect Tom Wright, it’s a lively, spacious environment perfect for slowing down, wandering and daydreaming.
- Grand Theatre – Created in collaboration with award-winning architect and designer Scott Butler, founding partner of Wilson Butler Architects, The Theatre on Celebrity Edge throws away the curtain altogether, blurring the line between audience and performance and immersing guests in an entertainment experience like no other.
- World Class Dining – Michelin-starred chef Cornelius Gallagher has curated menus of all 29 unique food and beverage experiences on board Celebrity Edge.
Celebrity Edge embarked on the more-than 6,400-kilometre transatlantic voyage from the Chantiers de l’Atlantique shipyard in Saint-Nazaire, France, on 4 November 2018, with more than 1,400 crew members on board. Along the way, the cutting-edge new ship visited ports in both Azores, Portugal, and Freeport, Bahamas.
Celebrity Edge begins her inaugural season sailing alternating seven-night eastern and western Caribbean cruise itineraries, with her Maiden Western Caribbean voyage departing on 9 December 2018, and her Maiden Eastern Caribbean voyage departing on 16 December 2018. Then, in spring of 2019, Celebrity Edge crosses the Atlantic again to offer guests stunning vistas of the Mediterranean with a range of 7–11-night sailings visiting iconic cities, including Barcelona and Rome.
Bookings for Celebrity Edge are now open at celebritycruises.com/edge or through a travel agent. Celebrity Edge will be joined by her sister ship, Celebrity Apex, in 2020, and two additional ships in the Edge Series will follow in 2021 and 2022.
This article is a Signature Luxury Travel & Style digital exclusive. Be the first to see more exclusive online content by subscribing to the enewsletter here.